Monday, April 20, 2015

General Family Traditions

Saturday mornings in bed. Choose a morning on the weekend to spend in bed with

h your family. You don’t need to spend hours laying around, but 15 to 30 minutes is a nice length of time. Try having coffee, tea, or milk with a couple of cookies. Relaxing and taking a few minutes to connect with your family can be a great way to kick off a weekend.

Potluck. This is a great way for extended family members to showcase their culinary talents.  If you decide to do this monthly or bi-monthly, consider themes – make one night Mexican, and the next time Thai, followed by Italian. Theme nights can introduce you to a whole new world of cooking.  Bring print-outs of the recipe so people can take it home with them.


Family Olympics. We've hosted our Family Olympics several times as a part of our Thanksgiving  at the Beach Tradition.  It's a team activity that the whole family can participate in and it can take place over several days.  I modeled our Family Olympics after an article that I read on RealSinple.com by Valerie Rains.   A recent addition was a boccie-ball tournament that has become a must event in the future.

The Annual Fishing Trip.  Our annual fishing trip started in the 1970's when my dad traveled through

 Minnesota with my uncles on their way to Canada and I asked, "Why aren't my brothers and I going fishing with you Dad?"  From that year on until  Dad died in 2002 we had an annual fishing trip that lasted for 35 years.  It really wasn't about the fishing, it was about brothers and dad getting together drinking some beer, smoking cigars  (I hate cigars), reflecting on the past and staying connected.  One year the Indianapolis Star did a feature story on our annual fishing trip.  We had an annual award of a "Yellow Sweater" to the Fisherman of the Year.  It was last awarded to  Dad; we placed it in his coffin when he died.

State Line - "so" When I was a young boy traveling with my older brothers and parents wewere challenged to be to see the state line sign on the road.  I took the challenge very seriously, while my older brothers not so much.  I spotted the Ohio state line sign and with great pride shouted "Ohio state line!"  My brothers responded with "so?".  I was crushed, rejected, and hurt.  Later in the afternoon we passed into Kentucky and my brothers shouted, "so".  To this day when any of us cross a state line we announce to anyone in the car "so".  I created a family tradition that lives on and is growing as our family grows.  Steve Grinkmeyer

Other General Traditions
  • For birthdays, each family member chooses his or her favorite menu, then everyone except the birthday person helps prepare the meal.
  • No one can go to bed until they've told each member of the family "I love you."
  • For religious milestones such as baptism or confirmation, a child is given a book of scripture.
  • For religious or historical figures the family especially admires, celebrate that person's birthday.
  • Saturdays are Dad's day to make breakfast with the kids.
  • Take turns choosing a topic of discussion at the dinner table.
  • Have a special dinner plate to be used by a family member who has a reason to celebrate.
  • Tell a story every night before bed. Keep a family journal, letting everyone write in it.
  • Establish your own holidays, such as an "Unbirthday Party."
  • Watch movies that explore the value of traditions, such as "Fiddler on the Roof."



No comments:

Post a Comment