Monday, April 20, 2015

New Years Traditions

New Years Resolutions.
The ancient Babylonians made promises to their gods at the start of each year that they would return borrowed objects and pay their debts. The Romans began each year by making promises to the god Janus, for whom the month of January is named. In the Medieval era, the knights took the "peacock vow" at the end of the Christmas season each year to re-affirm their commitment to chivalry. At many Christians prepare for the year ahead by praying and making these resolutions. There are other religious parallels to this tradition. During Judaism's New Year, Rosh Hashanah, through the High Holidays and culminating in Yom Kippurr (the Day of Atonement), one is to reflect upon ones wrongdoings over the year and both seek and offer forgiveness. People may act similarly during the Cathloic fasting period of Lent, though the motive behind this holiday is more of sacrifice than of responsibility, in fact the practice of New Year's resolutions partially came from the Lenten sacrifices.  The concept, regardless of creed, is to reflect upon self improvement annually.


Set New Years Resolutions.  I remember pledging to do all my homework, to stop fighting with my brother and to become a better student.  As I got older my New Years Resolutions turned more towards goals of achievement.  Then as a young adult my resolutions were more about taking control of my life.  As I reflect back I was learning to set goals then finding the courage and discipline to achieve them.  I think there is a real family learning opportunity for children in Setting New Year Resolutions.


New Year’s fondue. Fondue on New Year's Day is a German tradition.  It's tied to the night of the Holy Sylvester, the last night of the year which was for the fools to have a frolicking good time.  The following morning was to be a family time and the Neuenburger Fondue was the main focus of the family meal; a lump of cheese which was melted in a kettle, (fondue means melted).  As a child I remember both of these celebrations but being allowed to only participate in the New Years Day Fondue.  It was a time of family gathering with all my aunts, uncles and cousins at my grandmother’s home in Cincinnati.

Other New Years traditions include:
  • Going winter camping. Make a fire and share stories and memories from the past year.
  • Leaving shoes outside for the baby New Year to fill with candy and small toys.
  • Re-hanging your Christmas stockings for a refill.

No comments:

Post a Comment